Last Updated 9/15/2021 (12:00pm CST)
As Tropical Storm Nicholas strikes the Texas Gulf Coast, we will be posting updates about our response, shelter locations, as well as media assets. For media inquiries, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
To get help:
All of our shelters are currently closed. We encourage people to visit redcross.org, call 1-800-RED CROSS (800-733-2767) or download the free Red Cross Emergency app for shelter locations. If you need a place to stay, or have other emergency-related needs, please call 211.
Understand tropical storm–related hazards:
The impact from tropical cyclones can extend over wide areas. The greatest threat to life safety comes from water – in the form of storm surge and inland flooding.
- Storm surge can cause water levels to rise quickly and flood large areas in minutes, posing a significant threat for drowning. Storm surge can travel inland along waterways causing additional flooding.
- Heavy rainfall and inland flooding. Flooding from heavy rains is the second leading cause of fatalities. Widespread torrential rains can cause flooding hundreds of miles inland and can persist for several days after the storm has passed.
- High winds can destroy buildings and manufactured homes. Items left outside can become flying missiles. Both tropical storm-force and hurricane force winds are dangerous.
- Tornadoes typically occur in rain bands far away from the center of the storm.
- Dangerous waves can produce deadly rip currents far from the storm.
- The impact can extend hundreds of miles inland causing power, water, gas, communications outages; blocked or destroyed roads; shortages of food, bottled water, medicine, household supplies; and medical facility closures.
To become a volunteer:
We urgently need event-based volunteers to sign up for a 6 or 12-hour shift to work in shelters in southeast Texas. Please click here to sign up and a volunteer services representative will contact you.
To make a donation:
We are very grateful to members of the public who have reached out about in-kind donations. At this time, we have very limited ability to accept in-kind donations due to COVID-19 restrictions. The best way to contribute is to visit redcross.org/donate to make a financial contribution or text REDCROSS to 90999 to make a $10 donation.